There is one thing that technology has done; it allows us to work smarter. What we really mean by working smarter is actually doing more work in less time. When using a computer, the days of laboring endlessly to do easy tasks are long gone. How do clever people manage Linux? They know the tips on how to use Linux’s full potential. We have looked at a few of these tricks, and in this article, we are going to share them with you.
Select and Download the Linux Distro
To use Linux fully, you first have to select the Linux distribution that you will work with. Linux is different from other operating systems such as Windows as it doesn’t come in a single version. Its distributions take it and combine it together with other types of software. The operating system you then install is a combination of different units such as the X-org graphical server and the GNU core utilities, among others.
Some Common Tips
- You can replace text in multiple locations. This helps you serve a lot of time. To do this, you can use three different ways. One of them is replacing Windows with Linux in all the target files in a current directory by running the following: perl – I – pe ‘s/Windows/Linux/ ; ‘ test*
- You can browse faster in KDE by starting the KDE’s control center and then selecting System > and from the side bar selecting KDE Performance. Once you have done this, it’s time to preload the instances of Konqueror.
- You can also easily do a backup of your website. You can save a copy of a directory without copying everything on your computer. The only files you copy to the backup computer are those that you have changed. To do this, you can take advantage of a utility called rsync. Always remember that in order to access the original remote computer, you need to have an account.
- To ensure that your computer is always on time, there is an NTP utility that will help you to always remain in sync. To use this feature, start by installing ntpdate.
- To defrag the database, always remember to run the optimizer every time when you remove massive amounts of data from MySQL. This you can do by running mysqlcheck – o.
- You can serve battery power by using hdparm. Use any of these three commands: hdparm -y /dev/hdb, hdparm -Y /dev/hdb, or hdparm -S 36 /dev/hdb. These commands will respectively turn the hard drive to standby or sleep or to set the spin-down timeout automatically.
We know that there are hundreds of other tips that you can apply to use the full features of Linux, but we are sure that if we tried to list them here, we would need more space than this article can allow us. What we, however, will not go away without saying is that while using Linux, you can help your system by downloading a sophisticated software package such as TotalSystemCare from SafeBytes. It will scan your system and always ensure that it is working properly while you continue with your work.